Skip to main content

Eurovision Asia Countdown- Philippines Contestant CARMELLE

Back in May during the time of the Eurovision Song Contest, I heard that an Asian version was launching. I was excited because I'm a fan of both Eurovision and Asian music! Now it's getting closer because the first edition of Eurovision Song Contest Asia will take place next month. 

Visit my Countdown to Eurovision 2026! post for more about the contest (scroll down): https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2026/05/countdown-to-eurovision-2026.html

There is now more information since I first wrote about it. The Grand Final will be held in Bangkok , Thailand on Saturday 14th November and 11 countries are competing. In addition to the TV broadcasts in the 11 countries, it will also be shown live on YouTube and there will be a Rest of the World vote (which was introduced to the main ESC in recent years). I hope to watch and vote but will have to check the time difference. 

The contestants have been chosen through national selection shows. 8 countries have been confirmed so far- Bhutan, Malaysia, the Philippines, Republic of Korea, Laos, Bangladesh, Thailand and Vietnam. 3 more countries  (Nepal, Mongolia and Cambodia) are set to choose their artists and/or songs this month.

I'm planning to make this a mini series in the run up to Eurovision Asia. Today I'm featuring the Philippines' entry CARMELLE (full name Carmelle Allyza San Juan Collado).

CARMELLE comes from a family of singers and started singing aged 3. She went on to enter competitions during her childhood, winning 7 gold medals at the World Championships of Performing Arts in 2019 in the US and becoming runner-up in the 4th season/series of the Filipino version of The Voice Kids that same year.

In 2024-2025, she competed in the Philippine reality TV singing competition Tawag ng Tanghalan: School Showdown and won the title. Then in October last year, she took part in Pinoy Big Brother (the Filipino version of the reality show Big Brother). The same month she launched her music career with the debut single Unti-Unti with Kevin Yadao.

In May this year, CARMELLE released her self-titled debut album. Then in August, she competed on Philippine Selection Night, the national selection show to choose the country's entry for Eurovision Asia. She won with her song Sobra-Sobra (Too Much).

Outside of singing, her other interests include dancing and being a majorette, and she is currently studying for a tourism degree. 

I first came across CARMELLE a few months ago and was planning to feature her music in a future post but hadn't got round to it yet! I saw the music video for her single Morena (see below).

 

Sobra-Sobra (Live on the Philippine Selection Night)

Here is CARMELLE's national selection performance of Sobra Sobra (Too Much) on the Philippine Selection Night. It's a confident, rousing pop song with a combination of English and Filipino lyrics about not minimising yourself if others think you're too much for them.

CARMELLE has a strong voice and it's quite a catchy song. I also like the cultural elements of the performance and the rap.

 

 

There's also an official lyric video (turn on subtitles on YouTube for an English translation of the Filipino lyrics):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU7BK2svfB4

 

Unti-Unti (with Kevin Yadao)

In October 2025, CARMELLE released her debut single Unti-Unti. It's a collaboration with Filipino American singer-songwriter Kevin Yadao. I think the title translates as "Little by little" or "Gradually" in English.

This is the official lyric video. 

 


 

Morena

Morena was released in May. The title is a Spanish language term (also Italian and Portuguese, I think) that has slightly different meanings depending on the country and culture, but all some variant of "brown", "brunette" or "dark skinned". In the Philippines it refers to a woman with brown skin and has become an empowering term in more recent years.

Morena is a dance pop track that reflects the empowering theme. It's a mix of English and Filipino (with a Bicolano word included) language and is about loving your skin and representing the beauty of Morenas. 

 


 

For more on CARMELLE visit these links:

Preview article: https://www.preview.ph/culture/entertainment/carmelle-collado-facts-bio-a5158-20260831-bsc

Official Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/carmelle_lite/ 

 

And to keep with Eurovision Asia news, visit the official website: https://www.eurovision.com/asia/

 

Eurovision fan? Check out these posts: 

Eurovision Round-up: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2017/05/eurovision-round-up.html

Eurovision Round-up 2: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2023/05/eurovision-round-up-2.html 

 

This year's Eurovision posts: 

Countdown to Eurovision 2026!: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2026/05/countdown-to-eurovision-2026.html

Eurovision 2026 Favourites: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2026/05/eurovision-2026-favourites.html 

 

And for more Filipino music, visit these posts: 

Filipino Groups (features boy band SB19 and girl group BINI): https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2022/08/filipino-groups.html 

Asian Groups- Malaysian Girl group + Filipino Boy Band (features DOLLA and 6ENSE): https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2024/06/asian-groups-malyasian-girl-group.html 

BINI- Blush: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2026/05/weekly-music-video_070673828.html

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Music Video

Sorry there wasn't a 2nd post last week, I was going through a bit of a stressful time and didn't manage to get one finished. :) This week's video is I CONDEMN by Australian singer and rapper The Kid LAROI . It was the first single from the deluxe version of his second album BEFORE I FORGET. The original album was released in January and the deluxe version came out on 24th April. It contains 9 extra tracks, including  I CONDEMN and latest single PIECES. I wasn't aware that there was a deluxe version until I saw that some new songs had appeared on Spotify! I like BEFORE I FORGET and my favourite songs from the original version are ME + YOU, JULY,  COME DOWN and RATHER BE featuring Australian rapper and singer Lithe . One of my fave songs on the deluxe version is QUIT YOU, and I also like HOLD STILL and I CONDEMN. The newest single PIECES came out on out the same day as the album. I CONDEMN was released on 17th April. As with the songs on the original BEFORE I FORGET, it...

C-pop Saturday

Time for another instalment of my semi-regular series C-pop Saturday! Today I'm sharing some Chinese pop,R'n'B and dance. :)   MEME- Wei Xian Ren Wu First up is Wei Xian Ren Wu by Taiwanese girl group MEME (also written as ME ME). It consists of 5 members- Xiao Feng,  Xiao Ti, Strawberry and An Ru. I believe their Chinese name is a homophone of "secret", which, according to info on their  YouTube channel , "evokes a sense of mystery and reflects the members' commitment to innovate and bring unpredictable surprises to their audience" through their work.  Please note: I used Google Translate, so I hope this information is accurate! :) MEME debuted in June 2024 with the single MY BLACK EYES. To date they have released two more singles- Seaside Tour in February this year and Tian Kong Qing Niao (Bluebird in the Sky/Sky Bluebird) in April. Individual members have also released songs.  The title of this song is written in Chinese but I think that the Roma...

South Indian Videos

I've written several Bollywood posts this year but I don't feature South Indian music/films as much. So today I'm sharing some music and dance videos from Tollywood ( the Telugu language film industry) and Kollywood (the Tamil language film industry). :) Oo Antava Mawa- Pushpa- Dance Cover by Sonali First up is a dance cover of the song Oo Antava Mawa..Oo Oo Antava from the 2021 Tollywood film Pushpa: The Rise- Part 1 . I previously featured a dance cover of Oo Antava Mawa in a Dance Videos post in August last year. That one is by Rang De and you can see it here: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2023/08/dance-videos.html This cover is by Indian choreographer Sonali Bhaduria, from LiveToDance with Sonali and was uploaded in January 2022. It's a shorter video.   For more on Pushpa and to watch the official Oo Antava Mawa video, check out my Tollywood Videos Round-up 2 post from September 2023: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2023/09/tollywood-videos-round-up-2.html ...