Skip to main content

New Music Releases- Pia Mia and JoJo

Two singers I like are releasing new music this month, so today I'm sharing music from Pia Mia and JoJo. :)

 Please note that a couple of the songs contain explicit lyrics. :)


Pia Mia

First up is Guam born, LA based singer Pia Mia (full name Pia Mia Perez). Her new EP (her 3rd) My Side was released yesterday.  I didn't know it was coming out, so it was a nice surprise! Pia's last release was The Gift EP back in December 2017.

The EP was released on Pia's own label Cherry Pie Records and contains 5 tracks- My Side, Only One, Active, 730 and Remember Me and is chilled R'n'B. 

Read more about My Side here: https://www.pmstudio.com/music/music.html?page=20210926-14968

 

730

Pia released the audio for 730 on 10th September. I featured it as a Weekly Music Video: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2021/09/weekly-music.html

 

My Side

This is the title track, a slow, reflective song about a relationship going wrong, due to your partner not listening to your side of things.

 



Only One

Finally, this is Only One, the 2nd single which was released on 24th Sept. It's about being betrayed by a lover. I really like the beat.




 

Check out the full playlist for My Side here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUfgSsnUUr4&list=OLAK5uy_kEIR5qnb1VT7km2Nq7SMCzcsHi-1x27kw



JoJo

Also, American singer JoJo  (real name Joanna Levesque) just released the new EP trying not to think about it (written all in lower case). I'd read it was due out on 10th October but it just came out yesterday! On her YouTube page JoJo describes it as a "capsule project" because it acts as a time capsule for how she was feeling when she wrote and recorded it. She was going through a difficult time and struggling with depression, but working on the EP helped her to move into a better place. I can really relate to feeling like that and music is one of the things that helps me. :)

trying not to think about it contains 12 tracks, in JoJo's usual R'n'B style, so if you're a fan of her music, you'll like it! :) The first single The Worst (I Assume) was released during the summer. Anxiety (Burlinda's Theme) also has a music video.

My favourites are The Worst (I Assume) and B.I.D. I've bought them on iTunes. I'm sharing these and others I like below. 


Worst (I Assume)

Worst came out as a single in August and I featured it as a Weekly Music Video: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2021/08/weekly-music-video_26.html


Anxiety (Burlinda's Theme)

Anxiety (Burlinda's Theme) is about anxiety and compares it to a bad (abusive) relationship that you need to get out of. JoJo has named her anxiety "Burlinda" as naming it is supposed to help keep it separate from you. As someone who has anxiey myself, I can relate to this.

Anxiety was originally intended for JoJo's 4th album good to know (released last year) but ended up being included on trying not to think about it instead.

The video was uploaded yesterday and is partly like an ad for an anti-depressants/anti-anxiety medication! Look out for Omarion and Lauren Jaregui from Fifth Harmony who both make an appearance. :) 

 


 

Dissolve

This is Dissolve, a slow song with a good vibe. It's about the end of a relationship and feeling so bad, you just want to disappear.

 



 

B.I.D. 

My 2nd favourite song apart from The Worst. It's about letting your guard down and trusting another person, letting them help you.  B.I.D stands or "Bringing it down". I really like the relaxing vibe on this one and the chorus reminds me of 2000s R'n'B songs. :) 

 




Feel Alright

Feel Alright is a song about wanting to feel alright so badly that you'll stay in a relationship that isn't good for you. My fave bit is the chorus.

 


 

Spiral SZN

Finally, this is Spiral SZN. The song is about going into a downhill spiral when you're struggling and everything becomes overwhelming, which I'm sure many of us can relate to. Despite the "heaviness", it's lifted a bit by the music and great beat. And it's an important subject, so I'm glad JoJo is sharing these things through music. :)



 

Listen to the full EP here: https://jojo.lnk.to/TryingNotToThinkAboutIt

And follow her FB page for info about the songs: https://www.facebook.com/JoJo/

 

Also check this post to read about Jojo discussing her mental health: https://people.com/music/jojo-talks-mental-health-antidepressants-verywell-mind-interview/

 

Hope you liked the post! :) Are you a fan of Pia and/or JoJo? What do you think of their EPs? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

25th Anniversary of Mariah Carey's Butterfly Album

My favourite singer Mariah Carey recently released a 25th anniversary edition of her 6th studio album Butterfly. The original album was released on 16th September 1997 and featured songs such as her hit single Honey, The Roof and My All. It was actually the first album I ever bought (on cassette tape, lol) and I still consider it one of my fave MC albums. :) Butterfly was the first album that Mariah had more control over and it is R'n'B, rather than the pop (and later pop/R'n'B) of her previous releases. It also has pop and hip hop influences.  The expanded edition contain 8 extra tracks (the original standard edition has 12)- a duet version of Whenever You Call with Brian McKnight , a new take on The Roof featuring Brandy , live versions of Butterfly and My All, acapella versions of Fourth of July and Outside, an Amorphous Anniversary Club Mix of Butterfly (with DJ Amorphous ) and a remix of Honey (Another Taste of Honey David Morales Mix). I had previously heard the

New J.Lo and JoJo Music

Two singers I like, Jennifer Lopez and JoJo have new music out, so today I'm sharing it on the blog! Jennifer Lopez- Baila Conmigo First up is Jennifer Lopez, whose new song is the Spanish language Baila Conmigo (Dance with Me). It's a cover of the 2018 single by Dayvi featuring Kelly Ruiz . Watch the video with the original mix here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZM52M6cfSA Baila Conmigo (J.Lo version) came out on 10th October. This is an audio but if there's a music video later, I'll update the post. :) Want more J.Lo? Check out these posts: Spanish language songs: Dame Lyrics and Translation: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2016/04/jennifer-lopez-dame-lyrics-and.html Video for Amor, Amor, Amor: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2017/11/weekly-music-video_15.html Spanish song Al Anillo and Dinero:  https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2018/05/new-jennifer-lopez-music.html 50th bday post: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2019/07/happy-50th-b

Debut XG Mini Album

Japanese girl group XG have released their 1st mini album. It's called NEW DNA and was released on 27th September. XG (whose name is short for Xtraordinary Girls) made their debut in March last year and have brought out 7 singles so far- Tippy Toes, MASCARA, LEFT RIGHT/SHOOTING STAR double single), GVRL GANG , TGIF, NEW DANCE and PUPPET SHOW. The first 3 songs (or 4 including the double single) aren't on the mini album. The concept behind NEW DNA is that of being a "new species" free from conventions and limitations .  Although the group is Japanese, their creation was inspired by Korean music and they are based in South Korea. They have released songs in English so far and have been described as a global group and "X-pop". NEW DNA consists of 6 tracks- HESONO, X-GENE, GVRL GANG, TGIF, NEW DANCE and PUPPET SHOW. It is an R'n'B/pop mini album with influences from other genres, such as K-pop, dance and hip hop. My favourite song is PUPPET SHOW. I al