Skip to main content

Alina Baraz Debut Album

American singer Alina Baraz has just released her debut album. It's called It Was Divine and came out  yesterday (24th April). The album was originally due out on 5th May but was brought forward. Thank you Alina! :)

It Was Divine contains 16 tracks including singles To Me, Morocco featuring 6LACK and More Than Enough, and Endlessly and Off The Grid featuring Khalid which I think are promotional singles. The theme of the album is losing and finding both love and yourself. Read more about it here: https://www.okayplayer.com/music/alina-baraz-it-was-divine-debut-album.html

My favourite songs are Morocco, To Me and The Beginning, and I like most of the others including Frank, Off The Grid, More Than Enough, Endlessly, Gimme The Wheel featuring Smino and Until I Met You featuring Nas. It's a good album overall, with a chilled, dreamy vibe.

Here are some of my faves. Most of them are lyric videos but I will update as and when there are music videos released. :)

To Me

This was the first single off the album, released back in September. I bought it on iTunes around the time it came out. To Me is about a relationship that isn't good for you, and in the iTunes album notes Alina says that she left the relationship inspired by the song, the day she wrote the lyrics.

Please note that the song is explicit. :)


Morocco

One of my current favourite songs, Morocco was released last month and features American rapper/singer 6LACK. I bought it in April when I came across. I just really like the music, beat and overall feel of the song. I only wish it was longer, lol.

I featured Morocco as a Weekly Music Video recently: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2020/04/weekly-music-video.html


More Than Enough

This a promotional single that was released in late March. It's about love, connection and promising to remind your partner that they're more than enough.


Frank

Nice, chilled song which makes me think of relaxing on a summer day. I especially like the part about "divine energy".



Off The Grid feat. Khalid

Also another "summer vibe" song which includes the lyrics "Off the grid in the eldorado, Could be nice in the summertime, We could sit inside, In the silence".  Khalid (who has previously worked with Alina on  her 2016 single Electric) features on this track. It's the latest promotional single

 This is my favourite of the lyrics videos too, kind of feels like you're driving along in a video game!


Endlessly

The lyric video for Endlessly was uploaded on 8th April. My favourite bit is after 4 mins when the music sort of "breaks down" and then come back. I also like the aesthetic of the video, it's like you're on an island looking out of the window at the sea during sunset!



Till I Met You

Alina works with rapper Nas (an artist who she's wanted to collaborate with for a long time) on Till I Met You. The song is influenced by the late British singer Amy Winehouse.



The Beginning

My 3rd favourite song (just bought it yesterday!). It's about how everything is a loop , "the beginning is the end, the end is the beginning". The Beginning actually comes at the end of the album, I presume because of the "loop" concept!




Another one of my fave Alina songs is Trust. It didn't make the album but the audio was released in January. I featured in myNew Music for 2020- Part 2 post: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2020/02/new-music-for-2020-part-2.html

Read more about the album and listen to all the songs here: https://www.complex.com/music/2020/04/alina-baraz-it-was-divine-stream


You can also find them on Alina's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoRvM0gtxkoQw489UoHEiNQ

And check out her site for her social media links: https://www.alinabaraz.com/


Hope you liked the post! :) What do you think of It Was Divine? I'm happy Alina released it early. I'm also looking forward to JoJo's new album on 1st May (next Friday), so stay tuned for more on that! :)


For more Alina check out these posts:

 Music video for I Don't Even Know Why Though (from her debut EP The Color Of You): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN6umKRoUf4


Music video for Feels Right (also from The Color of You EP): https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2019/06/weekly-music-video_19.html


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

25th Anniversary of Mariah Carey's Butterfly Album

My favourite singer Mariah Carey recently released a 25th anniversary edition of her 6th studio album Butterfly. The original album was released on 16th September 1997 and featured songs such as her hit single Honey, The Roof and My All. It was actually the first album I ever bought (on cassette tape, lol) and I still consider it one of my fave MC albums. :) Butterfly was the first album that Mariah had more control over and it is R'n'B, rather than the pop (and later pop/R'n'B) of her previous releases. It also has pop and hip hop influences.  The expanded edition contain 8 extra tracks (the original standard edition has 12)- a duet version of Whenever You Call with Brian McKnight , a new take on The Roof featuring Brandy , live versions of Butterfly and My All, acapella versions of Fourth of July and Outside, an Amorphous Anniversary Club Mix of Butterfly (with DJ Amorphous ) and a remix of Honey (Another Taste of Honey David Morales Mix). I had previously heard the

New J.Lo and JoJo Music

Two singers I like, Jennifer Lopez and JoJo have new music out, so today I'm sharing it on the blog! Jennifer Lopez- Baila Conmigo First up is Jennifer Lopez, whose new song is the Spanish language Baila Conmigo (Dance with Me). It's a cover of the 2018 single by Dayvi featuring Kelly Ruiz . Watch the video with the original mix here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZM52M6cfSA Baila Conmigo (J.Lo version) came out on 10th October. This is an audio but if there's a music video later, I'll update the post. :) Want more J.Lo? Check out these posts: Spanish language songs: Dame Lyrics and Translation: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2016/04/jennifer-lopez-dame-lyrics-and.html Video for Amor, Amor, Amor: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2017/11/weekly-music-video_15.html Spanish song Al Anillo and Dinero:  https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2018/05/new-jennifer-lopez-music.html 50th bday post: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2019/07/happy-50th-b

Debut XG Mini Album

Japanese girl group XG have released their 1st mini album. It's called NEW DNA and was released on 27th September. XG (whose name is short for Xtraordinary Girls) made their debut in March last year and have brought out 7 singles so far- Tippy Toes, MASCARA, LEFT RIGHT/SHOOTING STAR double single), GVRL GANG , TGIF, NEW DANCE and PUPPET SHOW. The first 3 songs (or 4 including the double single) aren't on the mini album. The concept behind NEW DNA is that of being a "new species" free from conventions and limitations .  Although the group is Japanese, their creation was inspired by Korean music and they are based in South Korea. They have released songs in English so far and have been described as a global group and "X-pop". NEW DNA consists of 6 tracks- HESONO, X-GENE, GVRL GANG, TGIF, NEW DANCE and PUPPET SHOW. It is an R'n'B/pop mini album with influences from other genres, such as K-pop, dance and hip hop. My favourite song is PUPPET SHOW. I al