Skip to main content

25th Anniversary of Mariah Carey's Butterfly Album

My favourite singer Mariah Carey recently released a 25th anniversary edition of her 6th studio album Butterfly. The original album was released on 16th September 1997 and featured songs such as her hit single Honey, The Roof and My All. It was actually the first album I ever bought (on cassette tape, lol) and I still consider it one of my fave MC albums. :)

Butterfly was the first album that Mariah had more control over and it is R'n'B, rather than the pop (and later pop/R'n'B) of her previous releases. It also has pop and hip hop influences.

 The expanded edition contain 8 extra tracks (the original standard edition has 12)- a duet version of Whenever You Call with Brian McKnight, a new take on The Roof featuring Brandy, live versions of Butterfly and My All, acapella versions of Fourth of July and Outside, an Amorphous Anniversary Club Mix of Butterfly (with DJ Amorphous) and a remix of Honey (Another Taste of Honey David Morales Mix). I had previously heard the David Morales Mix of Honey but not the other tracks, I don't think.

You can read more about #Butterfly25 (as it's known on social media) here: https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/mariah-carey-butterfly-25th-anniversary-1235139166/

Here are some links to songs from the album, plus the brand-new video for The Roof (When I Feel The Need) with Brandy!


Honey

Honey was the lead single from Butterfly and was released in July 1997, two months before the album came out. It's my favourite Mariah song, and still sounds as good as now as it did back then (I was 13 when it came out!!). Honey is one of her most popular songs and reached No. 1 in several countries, including the US and the UK.

In 2013 I wrote a post of my Top 10 MC songs and Honey is No. 1. You can see the post here: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2013/01/top-10-mariah-carey-songs.html

It's No. 1 on my Top 10 Songs list too.

I also like the Bad Boy Remix of Honey (featuring Mase and the Lox). Check out my More Mariah songs post to see the video (scroll down): https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2013/08/more-mariah-songs.html

Or here's a direct link to the video if you prefer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy2bwwIsS40

 

Butterfly

Butterfly was the 2nd single (and the title track) from the album and came out in September 1997. It's a ballad, so very different to the previous release Honey. Mariah was having problems with her record label (Columbia) at the time, so it never had a commercial release.

While not one of my favourites (I prefer upbeat songs in general), Butterfly is a good song that I liked back then and still do now. It was written during Mariah's separation from her first husband, music producer Tommy Mottola.

Here's the video:

 


I also like Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise), which was on the European and the UK CD single.


The Roof

The Roof was the 3rd single from Butterfly, released in Europe in March 1998. It's also titled The Roof (Back in Time) but on the album it's just called The Roof. Since Mariah was still having difficulties with Columbia, it had a limited release. It wasn't released here (I don't think I saw the music video till years later), but it did make the UK charts due to import sales.

The song is about Mariah's relationship with American ex baseball player Derek Jeter, and their first kiss on top of a roof! It samples the 1995 single Shook Ones, Pt. II by American hip hop duo Mobb Deep. There is also a Mobb Deep Extended Remix.

The Roof is one of my faves from Butterfly. I featured it in my More Mariah songs post in 2013 (top of the page): https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2013/08/more-mariah-songs.html

See below for the new version! :)

 

Breakdown feat. Krayzie Bone and Wish Bone

The 4th single Breakdown was released in January 1998. It didn't come out in Europe (The Roof was released instead), so again I didn't even know there was a music video until years later. It features rappers Krayzie Bone and Wish Bone from the hip hop group Bone Thugs-n-Harmony.

This is one of my fave songs from the album too. You can see the video in my More Mariah songs post: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2013/08/more-mariah-songs.html

Or watch the video directly here if you don't want to scroll down:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC7V9dn1rC8

 

My All

The 5th and last single My All came out in April 1998.  It did very well in the charts in the US, the UK and other European countries.

My All is a ballad and has Latin pop influences, as well as being in Mariah's newer (at the time) R'n'B style. Like The Roof (see above), it was inspired by her relationship with Derek Jeter. There are two remixes and a Spanish version called Mi Todo.

My All isn't one of my favourites but it's a good song. :) I actually prefer the remix My All/Stay Awhile (So So Def Remix) featuring Lord Tariq and Peter Gunz, which is on the 2003 album The Remixes.

Here is the video for My All: 



You can also visit my 2020 post for Mariah's 50th birthday to listen to the My All/Stay Awhile Remix (scroll down): https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2020/03/happy-50th-anniversary-bday-mariah-carey.html

Or heres a direct YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1W98wd8Yd0&t=1s


The Roof (When I Feel The Need) feat. Brandy

Finally, here is the video for the new version of The Roof featuring Brandy (full name Brandy Norwood). Brandy is probably best known for her hit 1998 single The Boy Is Mine with Monica but she has many other good songs too. Her vocals are more in the background here, but her and Mariah's voices blend well together. :)

The video features the singers in the studio and premiered on 23rd September.




Hope you liked the post! :) Were you a fan of Butterfly the first time round, or do you like it if you're just discovering it now? It's just crazy that it's now 25 years since it came out!!


Want more Mariah? Visit these posts:

Happy 50th Anniversary (Bday) Mariah Carey!: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2020/03/happy-50th-anniversary-bday-mariah-carey.html

Music video for the 2021 single Where I Belong with Busta Rhymes (a follow on from 2003's I Know What You Want: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2021/05/weekly-music-video_26.html  

Big Energy (Remix) with Latto and DJ Khaled (which samples Mariah's 1995 single Fantasy; both Fantasy and the original Big Energy sampled another track): https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2022/04/weekly-music-video.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New J.Lo and JoJo Music

Two singers I like, Jennifer Lopez and JoJo have new music out, so today I'm sharing it on the blog! Jennifer Lopez- Baila Conmigo First up is Jennifer Lopez, whose new song is the Spanish language Baila Conmigo (Dance with Me). It's a cover of the 2018 single by Dayvi featuring Kelly Ruiz . Watch the video with the original mix here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZM52M6cfSA Baila Conmigo (J.Lo version) came out on 10th October. This is an audio but if there's a music video later, I'll update the post. :) Want more J.Lo? Check out these posts: Spanish language songs: Dame Lyrics and Translation: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2016/04/jennifer-lopez-dame-lyrics-and.html Video for Amor, Amor, Amor: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2017/11/weekly-music-video_15.html Spanish song Al Anillo and Dinero:  https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2018/05/new-jennifer-lopez-music.html 50th bday post: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2019/07/happy-50th-b

Debut XG Mini Album

Japanese girl group XG have released their 1st mini album. It's called NEW DNA and was released on 27th September. XG (whose name is short for Xtraordinary Girls) made their debut in March last year and have brought out 7 singles so far- Tippy Toes, MASCARA, LEFT RIGHT/SHOOTING STAR double single), GVRL GANG , TGIF, NEW DANCE and PUPPET SHOW. The first 3 songs (or 4 including the double single) aren't on the mini album. The concept behind NEW DNA is that of being a "new species" free from conventions and limitations .  Although the group is Japanese, their creation was inspired by Korean music and they are based in South Korea. They have released songs in English so far and have been described as a global group and "X-pop". NEW DNA consists of 6 tracks- HESONO, X-GENE, GVRL GANG, TGIF, NEW DANCE and PUPPET SHOW. It is an R'n'B/pop mini album with influences from other genres, such as K-pop, dance and hip hop. My favourite song is PUPPET SHOW. I al