Skip to main content

Top 10 Summer Songs

Since summer is nearly over I thought I'd do a post on songs/ videos to celebrate the summer while it's here! It's been hot in the UK the past few days and feels more "summery".  I was originally just going to post them randomly but then I decided to do a Top 10. So here are my Top 10 Summer Songs. :)


1. LL Cool J feat. Amerie- Paradise

This is one of my favourite LL songs. It was released as a single in America in December 2002 and in the UK in February 2002, but it makes me think of summer because of the beautiful beach. Ameriie sings on the track (credited as Amerie) and American actress Gabrielle Union features in the video as LL Cool J's love interest.

Paradise is from LL's 2002 album 10.




2.  DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince- Summertime

This is a song that really makes you think of summer. It also gives me nostalgia because it came out in 1991 when I was 7, lol.  Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince were the combination of DJ Jeffery Allen Townes aka Jazzy Jeff and rapper and actor Will Smith, aka the Fresh Prince. This was around the time of Will's hit TV series The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, which Jazzy Jeff also appeared in.

Summertime is rather dated now; especially the early style of rapping but it's still a good song. It was released in May 1991 and samples American jazz/disco group Kool & the Gang's Summer Madness. Also Mila J's recent single Kickin' Back reminds me of this song a bit.

Update 22/7/20: Mila J's Kickin' Back also sampled Summer Madness.






3. Aaliyah- Rock The Boat

Rock The Boat reminds me of the summer when I was around 18. This was sadly the last single of Aaliyah's, she died in a plane crash on the way back from filming the video in the Bahamas. It was actually the 15th anniversary of her death yesterday.

The song is on Aaliyah's last album (self-titled) and was released posthumously as a single in January 2002 in the US and May 2002 in the UK. I remember it being around in summer 2001 but maybe they showed the video at the tail end of August, and then released it the next year.

Update 23/2/22: The first video was blocked in the UK on copyright grounds (I think some of her videos weren't officially uploaded to YouTube), but here is a newer upload:

 






 



4. Christina Aguilera- Genie In A Bottle


This is my favourite Christina song and was played throughout the summer of 1999. It was released in June 1999 in America but I think it came out later in the UK, because I really wanted it and had trouble getting it. I got an import single from Virgin Megastores in the end. (According to the Official UK Charts site it charted twice, once in September '99 and the 2nd time in October. I seem to remember it wasn't going to be released till October.)

Genie In A Bottle reached No 1 in several countries and is one of Christina's most successful and well known singles. It's from her debut self-titled album.





5. Jennifer Paige- Crush

I used to really like this song, I had it on cassette tape! lol. It was a hit in the summer of 1998 and is probably one of American singer Jennifer's most well known singles.




6. Jennifer Lopez- I'm Into You feat. Lil Wayne

I'm Into you was released in April 2011 but it has a definite summer vibe with the beach scenes. The video was released in May so it would have been played over the summer. I also featured it in my Top 10 Jennifer Lopez Songs post. American rapper Lil Wayne features on the song and you can find it on Jennifer's 2014 album AKA.





7. Katy Perry- Teenage Dream

Teenage Dream came out in August 2010. The song is about a relationship that makes Katy feel like she's "living in a teenage dream" and the video fits well with the summer theme of this post. It's from her 3rd album of the same name.




This is the EMI (record label) video and you can also watch the Director's Cut here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41i4uCWST_U



8. Demi Lovato- Cool For The Summer

They showed this video constantly last year! lol. The single was released in July 2015. I haven't been that into Demi's older music but I liked this song. :) It's from her 5th studio album Confident (2015).




9. Pia Mia feat. Chris Brown and Tyga- Do It Again

Do It Again was another one on all the time last summer. I originally featured the lyric video as my Weekly Music Video in June 2015 and the official music video was released later. Singer Chris Brown and rapper Tyga also appear on the track.





10. Fifth Harmony feat. Fetty Wap- All In My Head (Flex)

Now I'll end with a recent summer song! American girl group Fifth Harmony are popular right now, one of their recent hits is Work From Home featuring Ty Dolla $ign. This is their latest single which features American rapper Fetty Wap and it's from their latest album 7/27.





Hope you liked the list! What songs make you think of summer? :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

25th Anniversary of Mariah Carey's Butterfly Album

My favourite singer Mariah Carey recently released a 25th anniversary edition of her 6th studio album Butterfly. The original album was released on 16th September 1997 and featured songs such as her hit single Honey, The Roof and My All. It was actually the first album I ever bought (on cassette tape, lol) and I still consider it one of my fave MC albums. :) Butterfly was the first album that Mariah had more control over and it is R'n'B, rather than the pop (and later pop/R'n'B) of her previous releases. It also has pop and hip hop influences.  The expanded edition contain 8 extra tracks (the original standard edition has 12)- a duet version of Whenever You Call with Brian McKnight , a new take on The Roof featuring Brandy , live versions of Butterfly and My All, acapella versions of Fourth of July and Outside, an Amorphous Anniversary Club Mix of Butterfly (with DJ Amorphous ) and a remix of Honey (Another Taste of Honey David Morales Mix). I had previously heard the

New J.Lo and JoJo Music

Two singers I like, Jennifer Lopez and JoJo have new music out, so today I'm sharing it on the blog! Jennifer Lopez- Baila Conmigo First up is Jennifer Lopez, whose new song is the Spanish language Baila Conmigo (Dance with Me). It's a cover of the 2018 single by Dayvi featuring Kelly Ruiz . Watch the video with the original mix here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZM52M6cfSA Baila Conmigo (J.Lo version) came out on 10th October. This is an audio but if there's a music video later, I'll update the post. :) Want more J.Lo? Check out these posts: Spanish language songs: Dame Lyrics and Translation: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2016/04/jennifer-lopez-dame-lyrics-and.html Video for Amor, Amor, Amor: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2017/11/weekly-music-video_15.html Spanish song Al Anillo and Dinero:  https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2018/05/new-jennifer-lopez-music.html 50th bday post: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2019/07/happy-50th-b

Debut XG Mini Album

Japanese girl group XG have released their 1st mini album. It's called NEW DNA and was released on 27th September. XG (whose name is short for Xtraordinary Girls) made their debut in March last year and have brought out 7 singles so far- Tippy Toes, MASCARA, LEFT RIGHT/SHOOTING STAR double single), GVRL GANG , TGIF, NEW DANCE and PUPPET SHOW. The first 3 songs (or 4 including the double single) aren't on the mini album. The concept behind NEW DNA is that of being a "new species" free from conventions and limitations .  Although the group is Japanese, their creation was inspired by Korean music and they are based in South Korea. They have released songs in English so far and have been described as a global group and "X-pop". NEW DNA consists of 6 tracks- HESONO, X-GENE, GVRL GANG, TGIF, NEW DANCE and PUPPET SHOW. It is an R'n'B/pop mini album with influences from other genres, such as K-pop, dance and hip hop. My favourite song is PUPPET SHOW. I al